- Food processor or blender
- Grater or zester
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Paper towels or a paring knife
Beet Tahini Dressing
- ½ POUND beets (approximately 2 small or 1 medium to large)
- 1 medium-sized garlic clove (or 2 small)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- ¼ CUP tahini
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP cold water
- ¼ TSP salt (⅛ TSP for roasting, ⅛ TSP for processing)
- ¼ TSP pepper (⅛ TSP for roasting, ⅛ TSP for processing)
- ⅛ CUP pine nuts, toasted, for garnish
Roast pine nuts in an oven at 350 degrees for 3-4 minutes. These delicious and nutritious seeds quickly go from zero to toasted so keep an eye on them.
Makes: 1 cup
- ½ head cauliflower, washed and broken into florets
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
Makes: 2 servings
Step 1: Make the Beet Tahini Dressing
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Trim beet greens, rinse and clean beets. Place beets in a bowl. Leave them whole and don’t dry them as the extra water will help them steam.
- Toss beets with oil and ⅛ TSP each of the salt and pepper to coat them.
- Place beets on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to enclose them in a pouch to steam them as they roast. We recommend roasting rather than boiling as the beets retain greater flavor and color.
- Place foil pouch on a baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes (small beets will cook faster so you’ll want to check them after 20-30 minutes).
- The beets are done when tender and you feel no resistance when inserting a knife.
- Let beets cool for 10-15 minutes. Once cooled, using paper towels, you will be able to gently scrub away the skin. You can also use a paring knife to peel away the skin if you prefer.
- Add beets, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, remaining salt and pepper, tahini into your blender or food processor.
- Blend until it’s the consistency of a thick, creamy salad dressing.
- Set aside.
Step 2: Roast the Cauliflower
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cut the onion in half lengthwise, root to tip. Peel to remove the skin. Slice each half lengthwise into ¼” slices.
- Peel and smash the garlic
- Toss cauliflower florets, onion slices, salt, pepper and smashed garlic in a bowl with olive oil to coat.
- Spread into a single layer on a baking sheet or sheet pan and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until crisp around the edges.
- Spread a swirl of beet tahini dressing onto a serving plate and arrange the roasted cauliflower florets on top.