What’s better than a moist, delicious spiced apple cake for the holidays? One topped with eggnog buttercream cheese frosting and infused with cannabis, of course!
Our fumé Brands Spiced Apple Cake with Eggnog Buttercream Cheese Frosting recipe courtesy of our ever-imaginative culinary cannabis scientists includes all of your favorite flavors of the season. A blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and cardamom bloomed in melted butter and mixed with the flavors of apple, ginger, brown sugar and vanilla will fill your home with an inviting, otherworldly scent. The eggnog frosting is a warm, light and fluffy addition.
The cannabis element is as mellow as the cake itself, smoothing out the edges while still allowing for great conversations with friends and family. Whether you enjoy it in the morning with a cup of coffee, treat yourself mid-day, or bring it to a holiday gathering, it will add sweetness to your day—or anyone’s day.
- 9″ x 13″ baking pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- 3 small bowls
- Standing or hand mixer or whisk if you’re old school
- Wooden spoon
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- ¾ TSP clove
- ½ TSP nutmeg
- ¼ TSP cardamom
Pro Tip: Feel free to experiment with the spices listed above. Try to keep the total quantity of spices fixed but you can play with the quantities of the various spices in the mixture to suit your taste preferences.
- 13 TBSP unsalted butter, at room temperature. Set aside 4 TBSP for blooming the spices and 2 TBSP for cooking the apples and ginger.
- 2 TBSP cannabutter (or canna-infused coconut oil) melted in a hot water bath
- 1 small apple, diced. You can use your choice of apples. We like Granny Smiths which are firm and crisp and provide a tart flavor.
- 1 TBSP fresh grated ginger
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ TSP vanilla
- 2 CUPS brown sugar
- ½ TSP salt
- 1 TSP baking powder
- ¾ TSP baking soda
- 2 ½ CUPS all-purpose flour
- 1 CUP buttermilk
- 1 OZ softened cream cheese
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 TSP vanilla
- 1 CUP powdered sugar
If you don’t have any powdered sugar on hand, mix together 1 CUP sugar + 1 TBSP cornstarch… Voila!
Makes: 18 pieces (approximately 3″ x 2″), 5mg THC per piece
Step 1: Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Heat 4 TBSP butter with the spices in a small pan for approximately 20 seconds over low to medium heat to “bloom” the spices, releasing and deepening their flavor. When they start to open and the aroma becomes stronger, remove from heat and pour into a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Using the same pan, sauté diced apples with 2 TBSP butter, and ginger for approximately 4 minutes over low to medium heat. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs + vanilla in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together brown sugar, the remaining 9 TBSP butter and the melted cannabutter or canna-infused coconut oil.
- Add cooled apples and bloomed spices.
- Slowly add eggs and vanilla and combine using a whisk or wooden spoon.
- Slowly alternate adding flour mixture then buttermilk to the batter in 2-3 batches, ending with flour. Combine using a whisk or a wooden spoon. A hand or standing mixer works too.
- Pour batter into a greased baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 34-38 minutes or until a knife, toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When done, set on a rack to cool.
- While your cake is cooling, you can make the frosting.
Step 2: Make the Frosting
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Slowly alternate adding powdered sugar (we recommend sifting it to eliminate lumps for a smoother frosting) and eggnog in 2-3 batches until you achieve a creamy but not overly runny consistency.
Once your cake has cooled completely, spread the frosting over the top of your cake. Enjoy!