Want to spice up your life this winter? Who doesn’t really? This Spicy Mexican Chocolate Cake with its blend of cinnamon, ancho chili, cayenne and more will bring some much-needed heat to any cold winter’s day. We like it as a tummy warmer with our morning coffee but it’s equally delicious and satisfying as an afternoon delight or a late-night snack. Muy caliente y muy rico!
In honor of National Chocolate Cake Day (yes, this really is a thing!), we challenged our fumé Brands culinary cannabis scientists, Alex and Kevin, to reimagine one of our favorite baked goods and they did not disappoint! Their Spicy Mexican Chocolate Cake offers some subtle heat that will warm your body and soul while the cannabis element chills you out. A perfectly balanced and mouth-watering combination.
“The added spices to this chocolate cake provides your palette with a subtle heat surprise. Under-baking is the key to success for this chocolate cake recipe and those decadent moisture-filled bites.” – Alex
“Not your average chocolate cake! The warm spicy depth that pairs perfectly with a tall glass of whole milk (almond or soy works for the dairy-free folk). Good mellow buzz, perfect for these comfy winter days.” – Kevin
- 9″ x 13″ baking pan (two 9” round cake pans will work too)
- Large saucepan
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Standing or hand mixer or whisk if you’re old school
- ¾ CUP cocoa powder
- 1 CUP bittersweet chocolate
- 1 CUP whole milk
- 2 TBSP ground coffee
- 4 large eggs
- 1 TSP vanilla
- ⅓ CUP vegetable or coconut oil
- ⅓ CUP unsweetened butter
- ½ CUP sour cream
- 2 TBSP cannabutter or canna-infused coconut oil, melted
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- ¼ TSP ancho chili powder or chili powder
- ¼ TSP finely ground black pepper
- ½ TSP salt
- ⅛ TSP cayenne
- 1 ¼ CUPS flour
- 1 ½ CUPS cane sugar
- ½ TSP baking soda
- powdered sugar for dusting
Makes: 18 pieces (approximately 3″ x 2″), 5mg THC per piece
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a large saucepan, whisk together chocolate, milk, cocoa powder, and ground coffee over low heat until smooth and the chocolate fully melted. Let cool for approximately 5 minutes.
- Whisk together baking soda, salt, all spices, sugar, and flour in the medium mixing bowl until fully and evenly combined
- In the large bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, oil, butter, sour cream, and cannabutter or canna-infused coconut oil
- Add in the melted chocolate and milk and mix to combine fully
- Add your dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth, fully integrated batter
- Pour batter into a greased baking pan
- Bake at 325° for 26-29 minutes (9” x 13” pan) or 25-27 minutes (two 9” round pans). It’s a good idea to keep a close eye on your cake as you approach the lower end of the baking time range. The cake should rise but you’ll want to remove from the oven before any cracking occurs on the top. When the cake is done, the top will give some spongy resistance when you press on it lightly and a knife, toothpick or cake tester inserted into the middle should have a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool for 30 minutes and dust with powdered sugar.