It’s National Brownie Day and we wanted to celebrate a delicious treat that is often overlooked in favor of fancier confections like macarons or Kougin Amanns (the fattiest pastry in all of Europe!). At fumé, we are equal opportunity, dessert enthusiasts. Be it a simple sugar cookie or an Insta-worthy pineapple upside-down cake, we appreciate and respect the bakers who concoct and bring these scrumptious wonders to our table—and our tummies.
We challenged our good friends, Alex and Kevin, a dynamic culinary duo who combine a passion for science with culinary alchemy to produce otherworldly results, to come up with the ultimate cannabis-infused brownie recipe from scratch. Below is their original recipe for these truly mouth-watering brownies.
“The brownies are fudgy, not overly sweet, deliver strong flavors of dark chocolate and espresso and a creamy finish courtesy of the condensed milk.” – Alex
“The brownies produce an energetic (espresso) feeling followed by a calm (THC) experience. They aren’t overly potent nor did it feel like I’d had too much sugar. They seem perfectly appropriate for holidays with the family (just make sure to make a non-THC batch for the kids).” – Kevin
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Silicone spatulas
- A double boiler or pot large enough for a mixing bowl to be well submerged in water
Pro Tip: Using a double boiler helps to keep temperatures consistent, ensuring even melting of the chocolate. You can construct a homemade double boiler using a deep and wide pan and a large glass or metal bowl with a bottom that will fit down in the pan. If the pan is too small or the bowl is too big, the heat will be concentrated at the very bottom of the bowl. You want as much of the bowl as possible to be submerged in the water inside the pan to promote even heat distribution.
- Two (2) medium bowls
- One 8×8 baking dish – greased and lined with parchment paper
- ¼ CUP dark chocolate
- ½ CUP espresso beans, finely ground
- 2 TBSP sweetened condensed milk
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2 TBSP + 1 TSP canna-infused butter (or infused coconut oil), melted in a water bath
- ¾ CUP cocoa powder
- ¾ CUP cane sugar
- ½ CUP brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ TSP salt
- 1 TSP vanilla
- ½ CUP flour
If the batter looks too fudgy for your liking, you can add a little more flour until you get your desired consistency.
Makes: 20 – 5 mg THC brownies (2″ x 1.5″)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Heat the double boiler or large pot with 3-4 cups of water over medium-high heat until it reaches a steady simmer.
- Add the ground espresso, dark chocolate, and sweetened condensed milk to the top pan of the double boiler or a mixing bowl that fits into your large pot.
- Slowly heat to melt chocolate, stirring to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Once combined and silky, cover and set aside.
- Carefully place the other mixing bowl into the large pot of water (note: if you’re using the double boiler method, you’ll need to scrape the melted chocolate mixture into a separate storage bowl to store it so you can reuse the top pot). Add the butter and the Cannabutter (or THC infused coconut oil) slowly until thoroughly melted.
- Remove from heat and add the cane sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, salt, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Once thoroughly combined and shiny, stir in the espresso chocolate mixture from the first bowl. Mix well.
- Once you have a smooth, fully combined batter, slowly add the flour to achieve your desired consistency.
- Pour the batter into your lined 8×8 baking dish and place in a 350° oven.
- Bake for 22 – 28 minutes.
- As oven times can vary, check for doneness after 20-minutes by inserting a knife or toothpick into the center of your brownies. It should come out clean. Visible cracks in the surface of your brownies can occur as the batter rises during baking and then settles back down.